Global Monitoring Framework and Targets for NCDs
A process initiated by the UN Political Declaration to develop a global monitoring framework for NCDs, including a set of indicators and global voluntary targets (paragraphs 61 and 62), has now concluded. This global monitoring framework (GMF) comes after nearly a year of inclusive consultations led by WHO, and is one of three critical parts of the Global NCD Framework (the GMF, the Global Action Plan for NCDs 2013-2020, and a global coordinating mechanism for NCDs).
Details of the targets and indicators
WHO has prepared a final report on these formal consultations, which will detail the official agreements taken by Member States on the GMF, including targets and indicators.
- Read all formal reports prepared by WHO on the consultations.
- View the full details of nine global targets and 25 indicators.
- To read our news alerts on the GMF in full, please click here.
- To read NCDA media release, please click here
- To read WHO media release, please click here
How the GMF fits in the global NCD framework
The NCD Alliance has developed a 2-page advocacy handout, Shaping the Global Framework, to illustrate our view on the GMF and demonstrate the links between the larger NCD framework and global health and development framework processes.
The next steps on the other elements of the NCD framework include:
- A Global Action Plan for the Prevention and Control of NCDs 2013-2020 to be prepared for adoption at the 66th World Health Assembly (WHA) in May 2013.
- A global coordinating mechanism for NCDs based on the Secretary-General’s paper on options for strengthening and facilitating multisectoral action for the prevention and control of NCDs through effective partnerships.