Global Action Plan on NCDs
The Global NCD Action Plan 2013-2020 (GAP), is a critical component of the global NCD architecture. The GAP 2013-2020 will define priorities for NCD prevention and control for the next seven years, and recommend clear actions for all sectors. These actions will help countries achieve the global voluntary targets included in the Global Monitoring Framework. The GAP 2013-2020 is due to be adopted at the 66th World Health Assembly in May 2013.
Ensuring a robust and comprehensive GAP is a top priority for the NCD Alliance. We will continue to analyse drafts of the GAP, develop recommendations for improvement ahead of the consultations, engage directly in the process, and support our network to do the same.
The timeline of the development of the GAP 2013-2020:
- July 2012: WHO published a discussion paper on the GAP 2013-2020. Member States, UN agencies, and civil society were invited to share comments in response to the paper.
- August/September 2012: The first consultation with Member States and UN Agencies was held on the WHO discussion paper. NCDA submitted a response and promoted the submissions of other organisations. Click here for more.
- October/November 2012: WHO released the ‘Zero Draft’ Action Plan. This draft was discussed at an informal consultation with Member States in November. The global monitoring framework for NCDs, including global targets and indicators, were agreed at this consultation. Relevant stakeholders were invited to submit online comments to WHO on the Zero Draft. Click here for more
- January 2013: WHO released the first draft of the Global NCD Action Plan 2013-2020, as an official paper for the 2013 WHO Executive Board meeting. Click here for more.
- February 2013: Following comments at the 132nd Executive Board, WHO released a revised draft on 11 February 2013. This draft will be the basis for discussions during informal consultations in March 2013. Click here for more.
- March 2013: WHO led an informal dialogue with NGOs (6 March), the private sector (7 March) and Member States (11-13 March) on the draft GAP. An online consultation for all relevant stakeholders was open until 10 March. Following this consultation, an updated revised copy of the draft GAP was released. A final online consultation is open until 29 March, and is the last opportunity for stakeholders to comment on the draft. Click here for more.
- April/May 2013: WHO to expected to publish a final draft as a document for the 66th World Health Assembly in May 2013.
- May 2013: Member States will consider the final draft GAP during the World Health Assembly, to be held 20-28 May 2013.