Nine Ways to Get Involved
1. Join our mailing list. Stay informed on the latest NCD news and information on events and meetings. Sign up through the form on our homepage.
2. Join a local NCD organization by checking our directory here. Network with other advocates and discuss how you could create a formal or informal group to coordinate advocacy efforts. Groups of those living with NCDs can serve as powerful advocates for improved access to NCD diagnosis and treatment.
3. Spead NCD awareness. Find out from your local member organizations how you can help spread NCD awareness in your community. Write to your government or to your representives to the United Nations in Geneva and New York.
4. Help raise funds. Lead a drive in your school, workplace or community to raise funds for NCDs.
5. Observe a National Day for an NCD condition or risk factor such as:
6. Share a success story. We are continually seeking success stories about what people and communities are doing to prevent, treat, and advocate for NCDs and their risk factors. Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
7. NGOs - Join the NCD Alliance Common Interest Group, which is free to join for non-governmental organizations (click here)
9. If you would like to explore additional ways to join the NCD movement, please contact the NCD Alliance team.
1) NCD Alliance Plan of Action for the UN High-Level Summit
2) The Millennium Development Goals and NCDs
3) Non-communicable Diseases: A Priority For Women’s Health and Development
4) NCD Alliance Briefing Paper on Children and NCDs: Children in Every Policy 5) NCD Alliance Briefing Paper on NCDs, Tobacco Control and the FCTC
6) Media Coverage of the UN High-Level Summit
Face Up To It An animated video released at the UN Summit on NCDs by NCD Alliance Partners LIVESTRONG asking you to join the movement.
Unite in the Fight: The UN Summit on NCDs
An animated video released by the World Health Organization.
A short documentary featuring interviews with key leaders and examples of successful NCD programs in developing countries.
Interview with Ann Keeling, Chair of the NCD Alliance and CEO of the International Diabetes Federation
Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) An inteview on key issues for the upcoming UN High Level Meeting in September.
Youth and Non-communicable Diseases in the Commonwealth
Produced by the Commonwealth Secretariat, with technical input from the UK Young Professional Chronic Disease Network, features case studies from London, Nairobi and New Delhi, as well as messages from the Commonwealth Secretary-General, HE Kamalesh Sharma, and Sir George Alleyne, Director Emeritus of the Pan American Health Organisation.
LIVESTRONG: Sign On
An animated video on the UN Summit from LIVESTRONG.
Spotlighting the NCD Problem
A short animated video by the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS)explaining what NCDs are, who they affect, and the importance of the upcoming UN High Level Meeting in September.
Act on Diabetes. Now.
An animated video from the International Diabetes Federation (IDF).
Unite In the Fight Against NCDs
World Health Organization This films describes the issues, challenges and opportunities to scale up international action against NCDs with a special focus on the September 2011 UN Summit on NCDs.
Taking up the challenge of non-communicable diseases in the Commonwealth: 17 good-practice case studies Commonwealth Secretariat http://www.ncdalliance.org/sites/default/files/resource_files/0107.CS%20Health%20Publication%20A5_web.pdf
Stop the Global Epidemic of Chronic Disease: A practical guide to successful advocacy World Health Organization
Advocacy Posters World Health Organization
NCD Fact Sheets World Health Organization http://www.who.int/chp/chronic_disease_report/information_sheets/en/index.html
Media Briefs World Health Organization http://www.who.int/entity/chp/advocacy/MediaFeatures_EN_web.pdf
Developing Effective Coalitions: an eight step guide The Prevention Institute http://www.preventioninstitute.org/component/jlibrary/article/id-104/127.html
12 Basic Guidelines for Campaign Strategy by Chris Rose http://www.campaignstrategy.org/
CARE Advocacy Tools and Guidelines Care International http://www.care.org/getinvolved/advocacy/tools.asp